A new baby brings about a great deal of change. Once this new little human is in your life, they are dependent on you for everything… and it can quite frankly be exhausting. You love this baby and you want to protect, care and nurture it, but finding the rhythm of how to do that while still getting enough sleep, remembering to eat, do the dishes, etc. can take some help. Enter: the postpartum doula. The benefits of hiring a postpartum doula cannot be stressed enough. This professional postpartum caregiver will help you navigate these challenging first few weeks so that you can not just survive, but thrive.
What is a Postpartum Doula?
A postpartum doula is a professional who is trained in providing physical and emotional support to new parents and their babies during the immediate postpartum period and until the new family is well adjusted. They are trained in caring for a new mom, a new baby, helping with breastfeeding, postpartum nutrition, and much more.
5 Benefits of Hiring a Postpartum Doula
- They actually help. While well-intentioned family and friends offer help, they usually end up just wanting to hold and play with the baby. In reality, holding the baby is only a small part of the kind of help new parents need. Postpartum doulas are not afraid to get down and dirty. They will clean bottles, do your laundry, draw you a bath, make you a nutritious meal, etc. This way you can focus on bonding and feeding your baby.
- They know what to say. Okay, maybe not always (we are human after all), but these professionals know that “it will get better” doesn’t help when you don’t know when and “it will come naturally to you” isn’t always true – and that’s okay. Doulas know that sometimes it’s best just to listen, assure you that your feelings are valid, and – when desired – provide advice, resources, and referrals.
- They create a calm, peaceful environment. The stressors of caring for a new baby can bring a negative air to the home, making it even more difficult to communicate, rest, and relax. Parents benefit from having a postpartum doula around who can help bring them down from a heightened state of stress, remind them that they are safe and doing great, and help parents navigate those tricky postpartum emotions. Often, just knowing that there is someone else there to offer an extra hand when it is needed is a great comfort to new parents.
- They help you get more/better sleep. When the baby wakes up in the middle of the night to feed and the mom is breastfeeding, the doula can bring the baby to the mother for feedings so she doesn’t have to get out of bed. The doula can then burp, change, and put the baby back down to sleep. If the parents are bottle feeding, the doula can handle the entire feeding process if the parents desire. Hello, sleep!
- The 5th benefit of a postpartum doula? They can help with breastfeeding. We are told that breastfeeding is normal, natural, and healthy. But that doesn’t mean it’s always instinctual. Breastfeeding parents often benefit from lots of guidance, advice, and support. Postpartum doulas are often well versed in feeding and they can help the lactating person with how to get a great latch, hold the baby, and provide other tips and advice. They can also help the feeding parent know if and when a referral to a lactation consultant is needed.
If you are South Florida expecting parents and you are ready for all of the benefits of hiring a postpartum doula, you are in luck! At Amazing Births & Beyond, we have a tremendous team of postpartum doulas and newborn specialists to help you through this incredible journey. Call us today to schedule a consultation with any of our amazing doulas!