It is important to prepare and plan as best as you can before the baby arrives. When I talk to new parents, most of them agree how hard postpartum is initially. There are a few topics worth discussing ahead of time with your partner that will make you feel more calm and confident as a team.
- Who will be feeding the baby, and how?
- Who will be waking up at night? Is it possible to create a system or tag team with your partner?
- Who will be preparing meals?
- If there are other children, who will support them?
- What systems can you put in place when you need a break? (in laws, siblings, etc come over to watch the baby)
- How can you support each other when you are exhausted?